|Clear Blue Skies after Eclipse Reveals Aliens Making Late Getaway|
Blog of Three Thirds (and lots of Headings) - The General Election will soon be upon us here in the UK and 'It's all about the cant, 'bout the cant, not the truuth' and if you want to give the election third a miss tab down to just after Shelley's 'The Mask of Anarchy' quote. The second third is all about the Vic and Subway Sect news/updates and then there's the third third which covers everything else. Hard to believe we're on British summertime and that it is only just over a month until the Vic Godard & Subway Sect NSEW Tour starts in earnest with a stonker in Birmingham, all gig details and other goodies below........after the politics (you know, no pleasure without pain!).
Election Thoughts - HARD WON RIGHTS - Personal Preachy Bit.
There are peoples across the globe who can only imagine in their very wildest dreams these rights that we in the EU are privileged to enjoy by law, rights that at least two of the political parties under consideration in the forthcoming UK General Election, Tories and the Faraaage, want to at the very least dilute. I think most of us have forgotten too many of these basic human rights rights however I think it's those seeking election who really need to polish up on them and why the UN created them in 1948 in the first place.
The List provided by Youth For Human Rights International, adapted and simplified from the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/ and
part of an article by musician Sarah Melody in SamaritanMag 2009:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
1. We are all free and equal. We are all born free. We all have our own thoughts and ideas. We should all be treated in the same way.
2. Don’t discriminate. These rights belong to everybody, whatever our differences.
3. The right to life. We all have the right to life, and to live in freedom and safety.4. No slavery – past and present. Nobody has any right to make us a slave. We cannot make anyone our slave.
5. No Torture. Nobody has any right to hurt us or to torture us.
6. We all have the same right to use the law. I am a person just like you!
7. We are all protected by the law. The law is the same for everyone. It must treat us all fairly.
8. Fair treatment by fair courts. We can all ask for the law to help us when we are not treated fairly.
9. No unfair detainment. Nobody has the right to put us in prison without a good reason and keep us there, or to send us away from our country.
10. The right to trial. If we are put on trial this should be in public. The people who try us should not let anyone tell them what to do.
11. Innocent until proven guilty. Nobody should be blamed for doing something until it is proven. When people say we did a bad thing we have the right to show it is not true.
12. The right to privacy. Nobody should try to harm our good name. Nobody has the right to come into our home, open our letters or bother us or our family without a good reason.
13. Freedom to move. We all have the right to go where we want in our own country and to travel as we wish.
14. The right to asylum. If we are frightened of being badly treated in our own country, we all have the right to run away to another country to be safe.
15. The right to a nationality. We all have the right to belong to a country.
16. Marriage and family. Every grown-up has the right to marry and have a family if they want to. Men and women have the same rights when they are married, and when they are separated.
17. Your own things. Everyone has the right to own things or share them. Nobody should take our things from us without a good reason.
18. Freedom of thought. We all have the right to believe in what we want to believe, to have a religion, or to change it if we want.
19. Free to say what you want. We all have the right to make up our own minds, to think what we like, to say what we think, and to share our ideas with other people.
20. Meet where you like. We all have the right to meet our friends and to work together in peace to defend our rights. Nobody can make us join a group if we don’t want to.
21. The right to democracy. We all have the right to take part in the government of our country. Every grown-up should be allowed to choose their own leaders.
22. The right to social security. We all have the right to affordable housing, medicine, education, and child care, enough money to live on and medical help if we are ill or old.
23. Workers’ rights. Every grown-up has the right to do a job, to a fair wage for their work, and to join a trade union.
24. The right to play. We all have the right to rest from work and to relax.
25. A bed and some food. We all have the right to a good life. Mothers and children, people who are old, unemployed or disabled, and all people have the right to be cared for.
26. The right to education. Education is a right. Primary school should be free. We should learn about the United Nations and how to get on with others. Our parents can choose what we learn.
27. Culture and copyright. Copyright is a special law that protects one’s own artistic creations and writings; others cannot make copies without permission. We all have the right to our own way of life and to enjoy the good things that “art,” science and learning bring.
28. A free and fair world. There must be proper order so we can all enjoy rights and freedoms in our own country and all over the world.
29. Our responsibilities. We have a duty to other people, and we should protect their rights and freedoms.
And last but not least -
30. Nobody can take away these rights and freedoms from us.
UNLESS WE LET THEM.
March Sunset by gnu 2015
However my spirits are not dampened as it is obvious for those who want to listen that young people are politically aware, do NOT agree with standing idly by and understand the power the ballot box wields, appreciating that reducing majorities is an important step in making politicians sit up and take notice.Scroll down this article to find 'A View From A Disenfranchised Youth' -http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/caroline-lucas-reveals-10-things-no-one-tells-you-before-you-first-enter-parliament-10149138.html?origin=internalSearch
(Hard to believe that in the 21st century free snuff is still provided for MPs in the House of Commons!)
The bottom line when all's said is, to quote Percy Bysshe Shelley - The Mask of Anarchy (again!) http://www.artofeurope.com/shelley/she5.htm
Rise like Lions after Slumber
In unvanquishable number
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many, they are few
Anyway whatever your political persuasion.......
*Point of order
If we are the 'United' Kingdom and Westminster based/controlled/funded parties can field candidates in Scotland, ie Labour, Tories, etc., then why can't, say the SNP, field candidates in England, so it's a level field for everyone? In my opinion Nicola Sturgeon knocks the socks off the other party leaders, as a politician, political orator and the only one to demonstrate party leadership skills, which the others seem to lack, in spades, so it's lucky for them that we can't vote for her to be PM and unlucky for us. A tad pathetic (and futile) that some seem so scared of Ms Sturgeon they feel the need to spread spurious slurs about her. Did she crumble? Did she lay down and die? No, she'll survive!
Now on to what's afoot at gnu inc central and beyond!
There are many and several definitions of enjoyment ( ref OED) such as pleasure, entertainment, amusement, diversion, recreation, relaxation;comfort, relief, delight, happiness, gladness, joy, fun, gaiety, jollity, satisfaction, gratification;liking, zeal, relish, gusto, etc.
VIC GODARD & SUBWAY SECT NSEW TOUR 2015
The North South East West Tour kicked off in style at The Railway Hotel Southend on Sea (see previous blog) and includes Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, London, Brighton, Hastings, Penryn and Dublin.
PS Talking of Southend - Cryin' Queerwolf's Easter gift, free download 'Choc Ice Boy', featuring Kev Daintree https://soundcloud.com/toska-wilde/choc-ice-boy-featuring-kev-daintree
The Seventh Wave Presents Vic Godard & Subway Sect, The Cravats
and Church of Elvis
and Church of Elvis
The Flapper Kingston Row, Cambrian Wharf
Birmingham B1 2NU
Advance tickets: http://www.theticketsellers.co.uk/tickets/vic-godard-and-subway-sect-the-cravats-church-of-elvis/10033647
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, Les Clochards & Fishwife’s Broadside
The Wheatsheaf Oxford
Advance Tickets: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/312495
Sleaford Mods and Vic Godard & Subway Sect
Koko 1A Camden High Street London NW1 7JE
Advance Tickets: http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/sleaford-mods/koko/2015-06-05-19-00
13th June Spinningchilli Gigs Presents
13th June Spinningchilli Gigs Presents
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, Asbo Derek and The Unreliable Witnesses, featuring ATV’s Lee McFadden
The Green Door Store Trafalgar Arches Lower Goods Yard, Brighton BN1 4FQ
Advance tickets: Resident Records Brighton and http://www.wegottickets.com/event/303635
PS - Lee McFadden's a busy bee, Alternative TV's new album is out in June, as well as the Unreliable Witnesses, he's a Minny Pops and then there's the Dave and Lee Travesty Show, phew. https://www.facebook.com/lee.mcfadden.16?fref=tshttp://croydonradio.com/podcast/show.php?HistoryID=cb0e2115-bf4d-59f9-6319-62acae3f6c70
PPS Simon Rivers & The Bitter Springs and Asbo Derek are playing at The Albert Brighton 25th April https://www.facebook.com/events/623253211113553/
INTERMISSIONThe limited edition works will be available to buy and 50 of them will include a gnuinc very limited edition CD of the songs referenced in the works. This is not the first time Vic has been involved in one of Leka's exhibitions and Leka also designed the covers for the gnu inc Live & Rares - and . https://balkanartsandbeyond.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/punk-and-hybrid-print-aleksandar-mladenovic-leka/ http://www.vicgodard.co.uk/LiveandRare_vol1.html
Gnu's done a Vic/Leka history: http://vicgodardandsubwaysect.blogspot.co.uk/p/vicleka.html
PS Talking of Live and Rares, Vic is still cassette rummaging and fortuitously came upon Lee McFadden's recording of a gig Vic did at the Dublin Castle (7th August 1998, Long Decline supporting - thanks Tracey H for the info) with Pete Saunders and his group. It's a mixture of songs from TROUBLE and Long Term Side Effect and sounds great. It has been dispatched to the Doctor of Music Mike Coe and we're hopeful this will be L&R Vol 3!
Following the intermission it's off to Dublin! Vic's not played there before however he and the gnu did visit Dublin a few years ago for a wedding they didn't actually attend in the end. A long story, at one point Vic & Gnu contemplated breaking in to a boarded up hotel, an alarm already ringing, thinking it was not outside the bounds of possibility that it was a ruse of the groom's to test the mettle and ingenuity of their guests.......it wasn't! (There may be a couple of readers who attended this wedding in Dublin who may know who I'm referring to.) The Talented Mr Shaw has really been spoiling us with the iconic new poster designs, my current favourites (changes every time Andrew sends a new one!) are the ones for Bernie Connor's Birthday Bash in Liverpool and Fibber Magees Dublin. We are bringing a limited number of the 'Shaw Designs' posters to the respective gigs. http://www.vicgodard.co.uk/vic_godard_live.html
Foad Musick Presents
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, The Dubtones, The Gakk and Audible Joes
Fibber MaGees 80-81 Parnell Street, Dublin
Advance Tickets: http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/search?s=Vic+Godard
October – Trash’d Hastings date TBC
16th October - Another first for Vic, he's not been to Cornwall before.
Vic Godard & Subway Sect + Lost Dawn
Miss Peapods Jubilee Wharf Penryn Cornwall.
Death or Glory PresentsVic Godard & Subway Sect Plus Support
Exchange 72-73 Old Market Bristol BS2 0EJ
Advance tickets: Bristol Ticket Shop
The Rock Shop Bristol (Only 50p Booking Fee)
Sounds in the Suburbs Presents
Vic Godard & Subway Sect AND The Sexual Objects
The Admiral 72A Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 7DA
AND 14th November
Sounds in the Suburbs Presents
Vic Godard & Subway Sect AND The Sexual ObjectsVoodoo Rooms 19a West Register Street
Edinburgh EH2 2AA
Tickets from Alan Suburb at email@example.com
AND Tickets Scotland
Glasgow - http://t-s.co/events.html?event_method=viewevent&event_id=6957a1c2-c8a4-11e4-ad12-22000b2c9208
Edinburgh - http://t-s.co/events.html?event_method=viewevent&event_id=bb433b34-c8a6-11e4-ad12-22000b2c9208
Children of Godard Presents
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, POST and El Cid
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, POST and El Cid
The Cumberland Arms James Place St
Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1LD
Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1LD
Advance Tickets: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/309222
Bernie Connor's Birthday and it's going to be a cracker!
Vic Godard & Subway Sect, The Floormen, Rongo Rongo, Brasshaus + DJs Bernie Connor and Tim O’Shea
The Shipping Forecast 15 Slater Street, LIVERPOOL, L1 4BW
Ticket info to follow (will be available from Probe)
Go On Give Your Ears A Treat!
Got your copy of The Sexual Objects 'Cream Split It Up' limited edition 10"?
It's a very lovely piece of heavy duty vinyl, Alistair McKay's review in Uncut on the left. Vic particularly likes 'Robert Quine' as he particularly likes Robert Quine.
A taster - 'Cream Sequence' -
Memories of Eric's Liverpool - Bernie Connor has put together a program of 50 songs from eric's jukebox including c'mon everybody.....eddie cochran......deck of cards.....prince far-i...my babe.....little walter...sixteen tons.....tennessee ernie ford...taxi!.....deaf school...soul finger.....the bar-kays....soldier and police war.....jah lion....promised land.....johnnie allan...out of sight.....james brown. https://soundcloud.com/bernie-connor/the-sound-of-music-presents-the-last-last-trumpet-50-cuts-from-the-erics-jukebox
I came across this book about Eric's 'Liverpool Eric's - all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that...' by
Sly and Robbies mixtape for The Voice of Cassandre
and if you missed Vic's http://voixdecassandre.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/secret-files-n-265-vic-godard.html (I wonder how many picked up on 'Victor & The Olympians'!)
Northern Soul Corner
'Landslide' by Tony Clarke -
and Vic's version live at the Music Machine 1980 -
9-14th May 2015
HeART & Soul Exhibition
'Wigan Casino Remembered' Northern Soul Art by Neil Thompson Gallery 17, Edinburgh - http://northernsoulart.com/
Fantastic selection of 30 Northern Soul Classics-
And Vic's been doing his bit keeping his Northern Soul end up!
COMING SOON........Look out for news about the premiere of the first Sound Of Young Scotland film ' The Big Gold Dream' on Vic's FB page and https://www.facebook.com/SOYSFilm?fref=ts
The Big Gold Dream - Trailer 1 from grant mcphee on Vimeo.
Trailer for 'The Big Gold Dream - Scottish Post Punk and Infiltrating The Mainstream'. The story of Fast Product and Postcard Records - Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, Fire Engines, Scars, The Human League, Josef K and Scottish Post Punk. Music by Article 58 and Scars.
National article - http://www.thenational.scot/culture/post-punk-postcards-from-indie-pendent-scotland-documentary-charts-an-era-that-changed-music.1649
Freddie Mercury The Great Pretender - Director's Cut
I watched this fascinating and enlightening documentary on the BBC the other night, I'm not a Queen fan (pomp rock not for me) and I didn't know much about Mr Mercury, for example I didn't know he was lyricist and composer. A complex and intriguing person, highly recommend. The video below is a Queen song I do like, 'Don't Stop Me Now', something quite moving about it with hindsight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pkbc7/freddie-mercury-the-great-pretender-directors-cut
It's All About The Bass: Carol Kaye at 80 - BBC Radio 4
Carol Kaye is an extraordinary woman, not only an outstanding bass player, who provided bass lines for Phill Spector, Beach Boys, for the M*A*S*H theme, for 'The Way We Were' song, among many others, Quincy Jones considered Ms Kaye indispensable and that's the start of her talents. https://www.carolkaye.com/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nk25s
That's all, although I may add a few things as they come to me, for now I'll leave you with the OJays very sound advice to join a 'Love Train'. Gert out.x
|March Moon by Gnu 2015|